Monday, July 22, 2013

Adding to my stitching repertoire...

A couple of years ago, while at a large stitching conference in Ocean City, Maryland, I was introduced to another style of stitching called Canvas Work (some people say it's technically known as needlepoint, but I think it's a lot like crewel work with all the various stitches), but I digress...

While at the conference, several women were stitching this so-called canvas work and I fell in love with the look, the colors, and the geometric designs. I asked if I could sit and watch and ask questions; they were so generous with their time and couldn't help me enough...they were wonderful! And I fell in love with this new technique of stitching. The reason it's called canvas work is because it's stitched on a stiffer material than cross-stitch, with larger holes, and the canvas is mounted on a frame of wooden stretcher bars using tacks made especially for this technique.

Canvas mounted on stretcher bars with tacks

Also while there, one of the girls in my group bought a canvas chart at the local stitching shop (Salty Yarns) and wanted to start it. She had never done one of these either, so we sat together and figured out how to mount the canvas on the stretcher bars, etc. Well, I got so hooked on helping her with the design, I basically took it over and worked on it while she went for a walk on the beach. LOVED working that new technique of stitching. And needless to say, the next day, I returned to the cross-stitch shop and bought the same design plus another for myself, with ALL the necessary supplies (of course!!!) 

Then, early this winter, I was alerted to a canvas work class that was being offered online in April, and once I saw all the "colorways," I couldn't resist! (Colorways are the different color versions the design can be stitched in: blue/greens, purples/pinks, yellow/oranges, etc.)  The class design was called Sherwood Garden, offered by Kathy Rees of Needle Delights Originals. I fell in love with the "Stained Glass" colorway of the project and signed up for the class. I started it in April when the class first began, but then got distracted by some other WIPs and put it aside. Over this past weekend, I got the itch to continue working on it, so here's my progress:

Sherwood Garden by Kathy Rees of Needle Delights Originals©
('Stained Glass' colorway)





 ...and here's an enlarged view of the border. I LOVE the effect!


 ..and here are the different colorways available for the project:



 ...and here's the overall look of the project in the original colorway "Sherwood Garden" (greens, rusts, and peaches):


Hoping to get more stitched tonight!

So happy working with all the jewel tones in this design!

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment